How to Make Sourdough Country Loaf: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Before you start the dough, feed the sourdough starter with rye and whole wheat flour, water and let it rest for 4 to 6 hours.
- Make sure the starter is active by testing it. You can test it by taking out a spoonful and placing it in a cup of water. If it floats, that indicates that the starter is active and is ready to use.
- Autolyse the dough : mix the whole wheat, rye, and bread flour with lukewarm water. Cover the mixture and let it rest for an hour.
- Mix the dough and the starter: add the sourdough starter to the dough and mix them well. Cover it and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Adding the salt: dissolve the salt with two tablespoons of lukewarm water, add it to the dough and mix. Cover it and rest for 15 minutes in the same warm area.
- Making six folds: the first three folds should be done in 15-minute intervals, and the remaining should be divided into 30 minutes each. Let the dough rest in a warm place whenever you finish folding. Before every fold, wet your hands with water.
- Post-folding: after completing six folds, leave the dough covered in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Shaping: shape the loaf as shown in the video and chill it in the fridge overnight.
- Preheating the oven : Place a Dutch oven in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour.
- Take the loaf out of the fridge.
- With dry gloves, carefully remove the pot from the oven
- Score the top of the loaf: sprinkle a large piece of parchment paper with flour and flip the loaf on it. Then dust the loaf with flour and score the top of it with a razor.
- Carefully place the loaf into the hot Dutch oven, cover it, and return it to the oven. Spray the oven with water and close the oven quickly.
- After 25 minutes, open the oven, remove the lid, and reduce the temperature to 450F for 25 minutes. Close the oven again.
- Take it out of the oven and leave it to cool completely—it should be completely cold before it can be sliced.
- Once cooled down, slice and enjoy.
The Sourdough Starter
9am: Feeding the Starter
1pm: Autolyse dough
2pm: Mix dough and Starter
2:15pm: Mix in salt
2:30pm: Fold #1
2:45pm: Fold #2
3:00pm: Fold #3
3:30pm: Fold #4
4:00pm: Fold #5
4:30pm: Fold #6, rest for 45 minutes
5:15pm: Shape dough and place in fridge overnight
- Preheat the Dutch oven in the oven for an hour.
How to make sourdough starter step by step
Recipe Card not found.